Thursday, May 19, 2011

~Thursday Thirteen~ Cookbooks

Here is a small list of what is on my cookbook shelf and Sharon added in some of hers too. Some of these books have taught me a lot of what I know about flavors and techniques. I pull them out whenever I am making out the menu for the week or if someone is coming by that I want to cook for. When making things from a cookbook even if it is from someone that gives you the inspiration to cook...remember that sometimes you could have followed the recipe to the very grain count of salt and it will just turn out to be okay. That is perfectly fine. Make it your own and tweak it if you are brave enough, not all meals need to be spectacular and over the top bursts of flavor. Sometimes it is a Hamburger Helper type night. Don't let your cookbooks intimidate you. Unless it is Julia Childs cause I won't even attempt it.

The recipes are simple and fun to make with kids. My girls love this book cause they can easily follow the recipe and it is a great time to be together. They have been known to tell their friends they can't play cause they are cooking instead...total mom moment there!

I bought this book just before Easter and I found "Strawberry Fluff." I could not stop eating it...however, it made a TON so if it isn't for a huge party of say of at least 20 people then cut the recipe in half and still share with neighbors. I put the fluuff over the top of angle food cake, ate it off a spoon...licked the bowl...you get the picture.

This is  a great cookbook if you are just starting out in the kitchen. There are step by step photos and easy to understand instructions.

Paula Deen is my idol...well besides my mom cause no one is better in my book but Paula is amazing and an inspiration. Look up her story sometime and while you are at it make some of her recipes they are comfort food at its best.

I read her blog its addicting, her food tastes really good and now a few of her recipes are some of my favorites.With a little of my own spin thrown in. 
another great book to get the kids into cooking!

lots of pretty party designs with quick recipes. A lot about presentations and meal plans for parties.

This entire series is awesome. Each book has recipes that are restaurant copycats. I love these books.

The next set of books are from Sharon's collection. Im not sure if I got the pictures right but here they are and some of her suggestions!


Mango and rice noodle salad in lettuce cups

Sharon likes the pies, the pies, and there are the pies that Sharon mentions.


Jean Pare's Company's Coming Starters
Crab stuffed eggs... totally kill worthy ((I couldn't find a picture of this cookbook but she is too cute to not put a picture of.))

 manicotti overboard.. all kindsa yum

shrimp jambalaya... i submit.. ((that means she really likes it))


heck ouut other ~TT~ participants here:

1 comment: