Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Picnic Time!

Think back for me today, farther back for some more than others but back to your childhood when you would come inside and something was being made in the kitchen and the smell alone could get you excited. Not because you were hungry but because of what that particular scent would mean.

Easter weekend took the kids up to visit Grammie and instead of a huge feast and mess we decided to have a picnic at the park. Menu? Cold Shake N Bake chicken, mom's potato salad, and guacamole with chips! I know what you are saying right now, well most of you anyhow... cold chicken? You bet. I haven't had cold Shake N Bake for years and not once can I remember us having it hot for dinner. It was always for a picnic the next day.

I had forgotten all about the chicken until we decided on a picnic instead of all the work that goes into a holiday meal. As the chicken was cooking the house filled with flavor and my mom got a goofy look on her face saying, "I have not smelled that in years!" My parents worked a lot when we were growing up and just like most parents today they were tired. When we sat down to eat I remembered going to different parks all through my childhood and each time at that moment I just knew that no matter how busy my mom was she had set aside everything else for the afternoon.

Now as an adult I admit that I had forgotten the Shake N Bake. I would instead stop at KFC drive thru cause I remembered the chicken part clearly and wanted the same for my kids. As it happens, we never go to KFC unless it is to take it to the park so in a small way I have continued the tradition. But now? It will be shakin time! Not only cheaper but the kids love to shake it!

Here is how I plan it:

Shake N Bake....I am a thigh and leg type of girl. Those two cuts seem to be the easiest to eat for kids and adults when at a park.  Line your baking sheets with foil and clean up is easy! I always figure at least two pieces of chicken per child as a safe bet cause after they play they always come back saying they are STARVING, and after chasing the kids? You might be starving too.

Potato salad. Everyone has their favorite add in stuff and I like finely diced celery, hard boiled eggs and green onions. Parsley is a good color booster too. A little mustard and miracle whip and you can call it done. But then sometimes? Well sometimes I add in finely diced pickle too and if it is a little on the dry side and you don't want to add more miracle whip or mayo whichever? A little bit of the pickle juice or white/red wine vinegar helps. Please....use the miracle whip or mayo sparingly mix it in as a booster because you want the flavors of each ingredient to shine. Trust me on this. On a personal note, I have both mayo and miracle whip in my house. Different flavors different uses.

Guacamole flows from the faucets around here during the summer months and I have a tip! My brother-in-law puts two of the avocado pits in the guac after it is made. He says that it stops it from turning brown and I gotta tell ya the green stayed bright and creamy. I put in tomatoes, sweet onion, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper in mine. All to taste, I admit I don't measure much of anything unless it has to do with baking.

This is not my only picnic menu to share this coming season and there might even be a Thursday Thirteen that we will have for just such an occasion!

No comments:

Post a Comment