Thursday, November 17, 2011

~TT~ Holiday fare!

Happy Thursday Everyone! After you come on in and settle in for a bit make your way over to the other ~TT~ lists! http://thursday-13.com/

Sharon: 13 Must make Items for the holiday season
Charity: okay thanksgiving or christmas?
Charity: just holiday in general?
Sharon: Christmas bish... Canadians are SO done with that a month ago!
Sharon: we came, we stuffed, we moved on
Charity: yeah but we haven't had it yet LOL
Charity: Just cause you all have that premature issue doesn't mean that we have to be quick draws as well. But okay holiday in general.
Sharon: don't make me whack you with bacon
Charity: mmm bacon
Sharon: or go all poutine on your ass
Charity: Okay I will start.
Sharon: k.. stick to the topic! Cause peeps need food
Charity: Turkey. I know its something that shouldn't have to be listed however I have a confession. Last Thanksgiving I nearly ruined the bird. What happened was....I had been given an electric roaster for my birthday and had not used it til then. No one told me that in a roaster the stuff cooks faster than if it were in the oven and so three hours before dinner? The turkey was done. I didn't panic completely though cause my mom had a ham going in her roaster. But that said it was pretty damn embarrassing for my parents to come to MY house for Thanksgiving and I ruin the bird! So I turned the roaster off and let the bird sit in the heat and when we started to slice it 3 hours later? All of the turkey was moist! It was the best turkey I have ever had....So this year I am making it the same way. Also....people.....make an herb butter and rub it under the skin.....do not be afraid it adds flavor trust me. Just go slow and take off your rings ladies.
Sharon: okay..let me add in a new side dish then for this turkey feast... something I made this year for our Thanksgiving like a MONTH ago.... and it was amazing. A different take but Balsamic Glazed Squash... its super easy, hardly any ingredients and even kids (shocker!) will eat it
Charity: You have a thing for squash.
Sharon: well my kids eat it .. i need to run with that
Sharon: But okay.... another good side I tried recently? Shredded Maple Mustard Brussel Sprouts. .. that way kids dont' realize its brussel sprouts and they are good. cause of the maple syrup (dear god no one use table syrup)
Charity: Okay as an app....Deviled Eggs. I recently read an article in I believe it was Food Network Magazine, on all the different ways you can make the filling. Always make a plate of classic and then? Try at least one other way to make them. Search online for different ideas and don't be afraid to try something new. I like to make little note cards that say what it is and if I have never made it before in a different color in the corner write *NEW* or *NEW ITEM* it is a fun way to decorate and people will always offer up their opinion where as they are less likely if they think you make it like that all the time and they don't want to hurt your feelings on your go to plate.
Sharon: ohhhh yeah can't go wrong there!  Soft, but firm.. reminds me of how my breasts used to be before kids.
Charity facepalms
Sharon: shrugs. okay another amazing holiday appie? Can't go wrong with a creamy & cheesy lobster crab dip. Ultimate yum
Charity: okay you get to think up the next one too cause I have to go make myself some eggs and toast. Never....ever.....make a ~TT ~ list without first having eaten. It feels a lot like grocery shopping while starving.
Sharon: I know! okay how about another appie.. cause really? lets face it... its ALL about the appies this time of year.
Sharon: heh okay folks? while she's gone? I won't be censored... *smirks*
Sharon: now then ... lets discuss some appies that you can eat without getting crap stuck in your teeth... and not messy enough to ruin that hot new dress you're wearing. Unless of course you strategically drop a dollop of crab dip on your cleavage and that hottie from Accounting sees it, salivates and dives into your boobs like he's bobbing for apples.I'm SO okay with that kind of appie. Seriously... Christmas parties bring out the ho ho ho in me. *coughs*
Sharon: Rolling along now.. I"m a big fan of goat cheese. A super duper EASY 2 minute appie is Goat cheese spread over tomato pesto. Guys? listening? Chicks will cling to you if you bring this .. bake it til its warm then add some garlic crostini and you, my friend, will be unwrapping more than just presents that night if you know what I mean.
Sharon: okay.. can't have an appie and not discuss weiners.
Sharon: so....
Charity: uh...the censor is back now....
Sharon: *&%$$%^*(
Sharon: hi
Charity: Hey there....*slaps Sharon's hands*
Sharon: whistles innocently . Just doing some public service announcements
Charity: you have already talked about breasts and crab dip in the cleavage. You will have to save the weiner talk for next week....and we are doing cookies so the public should be safe.
Sharon: did i ever tell you about the penis cupcakes I made for a fundraiser?
Charity sighs and edits.
Sharon: okay! cookies... I found a new recipe for double vanilla sugar cookies and will be baking up some snowflake shaped ones for all the special peeps in my life.
Charity: okay I will be checkin the mail soon then.
Charity: Okay so....balance is always key. You want to have some warm dishes and some cold ones. Have tart green olives with feta cheese stuffed inside. You can have veggies with dips because those will clean out the rich flavors and allow your guests to not have too much of a good thing and go into comas.
Sharon: yeah comatose peeps at Christmas parties suck. They end up getting magic marker pictures drawn on exposed body parts. Kinda funny... so long as its not you.
Sharon: hey you know what? One thing about the holidays is that its pretty busy. I recently read some article that offered up some "make ahead"' casseroles. Not a bad idea. One was this Tex-Mex Casserole with monterey Jack cheese... beef, hot peppers... tortillas.. it was very different and kinda cool if you're down with a little mexican in your holdiay food.
((Charity: I am incredibly shocked she did not take that last bit farther. I mean wow! I am proud of her for censoring herself there...but I wasn't about to say anything cause maybe she didn't realize it?))
Charity: Okay how about we talk about pie....I am a lover of pie. Be it pumpkin or pecan, apple or cherry I love me some pie. That said I am a firm believer that cherry pie needs to stay in summer time. I love all you home cooks out there I do....and I KNOW your pies are the best cause really? My dad's pumpkin pie? You can't touch but if you do not have all that time and a costco is near you? Get one. Have you tasted their pumpkin pie?....a moment of silence please.....can you hear that singing in the background? Top it with fresh whipped cream and you are a hero and no one will care that you did not labor over that pie.
Sharon: Okay sister... back way up .... no one puts cherry pie in a corner
Sharon: that's a four season staple...
Charity: I like my cherry pie in the summer.
Charity: Just like I don't eat pecan pie in the summer
Sharon: .........
Charity: you have your quirks and I have mine.
Sharon: okay how about strawberry rhubarb pie? or is that too June for you?
Charity: nah you put that on up there....and I don't like your tone. Shall we talk about the liver and onions you are enjoying?
Sharon: omg i added thai sauce to it
Sharon: it STILL was major suckage
Sharon: how we doing for numbers? I dunno if readers are still with us.
Charity: we need two more
Charity: oh non wine drinks!
Sharon: wtf.. those exist?
Charity: Have two crock pots going and you can spice some apple cider in one and hot cocoa in the other. Have some spirits nearby in case people want to add to their glasses and you are all set. To hot cocoa? Add a splash or three of peppermint schnapps. My mom calls it a peppermint patty.
Charity: And the cider? You can always add some rum or vodka or whatever makes your heart go pitter patter. BUT the point it the crocks are left untouched by the alcohol so the kiddos can safely ladle til their hearts are content.....a note on the cocoa? Don't be cheap. Use milk instead of water if you are using powdered chocolate. It really makes the cocoa taste like you went out and paid a coffee shop to make it for you.
Sharon: look at you adding chocolate! Atta girl
Charity: And a non chocolate option for our friend Sherilee who isn't a big chocolate fan!
Sharon: Wait.. does this mean I don't get to discuss weiners?
Charity: Nope. We are done with our ~TT~ for this week. Maybe next week.....maybe
Sharon plots....

**Tune in next week when we list holiday cookies and see how long I can come up with topics that Sharon won't be able to list weiners!**

3 comments:

  1. it all sounds yummy! happy thurs 13

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always feel like I need a smoke whenever I'm done reading this blog.

    I gotcher crab dip right here, lady.

    WHEEEEEners!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron! I have enough trouble keeping Sharon in line don't encourage her! Next ~TT~ is gonna be cookies or something I swear!

    Lady Rose, thanks for stopping by our ~TT~ I have been reading yours as well just haven't sat down long enough to respond as I have been reading on my phone :)

    ReplyDelete