Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Salmon inspired

I am a seafood snob. I admit it readily and the people at the seafood department think I am off my rocker whenever I ask to smell stuff. Growing up in Alaska I was spoiled when it came to insanely fresh seafood. Before moving there I was not a fan of fish but there is a lot to be said about getting a king salmon from the river a couple miles away.

Since moving I found the best salmon can be found from http://www.schwans.com/ there. The salmon comes frozen is boneless and the flavor is great. So now...why am I on salmon today? Because I made salmon lastnight when my friend Lisa came over. I made appetizer type finger food as we have children and it is difficult to get them all sitting down so fingerfood is best.

What you will need:
5 -6oz salmon portions
1 Tbs butter
2 Tbs olive oil
2 cloves chopped garlic
4 green onions
1 pkg wonton wrappers
1 pkg softened cream cheese (low fat works just as well)
Oil to fry with. I use canola usually.
Melt the butter with the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Season the salmon filets with salt and pepper, any favorite seasonings. My go to spices are inspired by Paula Dean's House Seasoning and Emeril's Essence, both recipe's can be found on food network. I make my own and adjust the amounts to suit my cooking...anyhow back to the salmon. Season lightly and put into the butter/oil mixture cooking the salmon through. You want the meat to flake apart which for thin filets is about 3 minutes on each side. Let it get lightly brown.

While the salmon is cooking chop the green onions fairly small. I split them down the center so they are smaller. You want to infuse the cream cheese with the green onion not bite down on a bit crunch of onion. I don't mind it but some do...mix the onion in with the cream cheese keeping an eye on the fish to flip and flake.
When the salmon is done you can go about this part two ways. You can do the dumpling fold over thingy or the easier to make a little harder to eat method is just fry them in some hot oil flat and put the salmon mixture on top.


After flaking the salmon taste as you put it into the cream cheese mixture cause you have to taste. Its a cooking law. I swear it is. Then taste again as you mix..see the above mentioned law. If you want to do the foldy over thing puut about 1 Tbs of the salmon mixture into the center of the wonton and dip your finger into water wetting two edges and fold. Really you can fold anyway you like. I do diagonals cause it looks pretty. It won't take long to fry because the mix is already cooked and the wontons take very little time. Just please make sure your oil is hot enough around 350 F, cause if it is lower than the wrapper will absdorb the oil and too much over 375 F and the wontons will cook too fast and you will most likely burn them.

What is that off colored sauce? That is the balsamic cream and it is amazingly good but unfortunatly the color is not all that great. I mix mayonaise about a half cup with about a quarter cup sour cream, and gurggles of balsamic vinegar until it is creamy and smooth. You can add herbs if you like, tweak it according to YOUR taste. It is subtle enough to let the taste of the salmon come through but gives a tangy kick that I love.

Double take...
What to do with the left over salmon mixture and cream sauce? I make extra so I will have some for *drum roll*
Yes, that is a toasted english muffin with the balsamic cream sauce topped with salmon and chives for breakfast. You can use toast or bagles, you can put it in an ommlette or with a spoon I won't judge you!

Hope you try this recipe if you need more directions or have questions leave it in the comments and we will get back to you.
Coming up? A Mac and Cheese to live for! As prinssesr9 left a comment after the ~TT~
~Charity

No comments:

Post a Comment